Your shower is one of the hardest working features in your home. Unfortunately, showers are also the source of some of the most common residential plumbing problems. Because your showers deal with a steady stream of hair, soap, dead skin cells and all sorts of other debris, they’re especially prone to developing blockages. Dealing with a blocked shower drain is usually a task for the professionals. Before you call a plumber though, there are a few things you can try to get rid of the blockage on your own. In this article we’ll go over how to clean a blocked shower drain and what you can do to prevent future issues.
What Causes Blocked Shower Drains?
Blocked shower drains are one of the most common plumbing issues around the home. Most blockages are caused by:
- Builds ups of soap
- Hair and dead skin cells
- Foreign objects
- Deposits of dirt and silt
These issues are typically easy to deal with. In some cases though, a blocked shower drain can be caused by bigger issues like collapsed pipes or intruding tree roots. These problems should be left to the professionals. For smaller issues, you may be able to fix the problem yourself.
How to Clean a Blocked Shower Drain
Blocked drains seem like a small nuisance up until they turn into major water damage. While your shower is designed to be waterproof, it’s not capable of holding large amounts of water, so a blocked drain can quickly flood the shower pan. This sort of flooding does serious damage to flooring, cabinets and plasterboard walls, and the repair bills can be steep.
If your shower drain is blocked, or if you notice that it’s slow to drain, you can try to clear the blockage by:
- Checking that the drain is clear – Clumps of hair and soap are major culprits when it comes to blocked shower drains. You should periodically open your drain grate and clear away any obvious deposits of soap, hair and other debris.
- Trying a drain snake – Drain snakes are long, flexible tools that can be used to reach into a drain and dislodge or remove blockages. You can purchase disposable drain unblockers from hardware stores like Bunnings. We recommend sticking to plastic tools. Metal drain snakes can damage pipes and should only be used by qualified plumbers.
- Pouring boiling water down the drain – Blockages aren’t always visible from the drain inlet. Pouring a pot of boiling water down the drain can help to dissolve and dislodge build ups of soap.
- Using natural drain cleaners – You may need to use a natural drain cleaner to deal with stubborn blockages. After pouring the boiling water in, add 1 cup of baking soda and then 1 cup of white vinegar. Allow the mixture to sit for 15 minutes before rinsing with more boiling water.
- Contacting a plumber – If you’ve followed the steps above and your drain is still blocked, it’s time to call a plumber. Professional plumbers have dedicated drain clearing tools that can get rid of even the most difficult blockages.
Preventing Blocked Drains in the Shower
Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to blocked drains. Since you use your shower everyday, it’s especially prone to developing blockages. You can minimise the risk of developing a blockage by:
- Cleaning the shower cubicle on a regular basis
- Removing hair from the drain after you shower
- Avoiding soaps and other shower products that contain oils
- Keeping dirt, lint, dust and other debris out of the shower
- Regularly clean the drain with a baking soda and vinegar mixture
Apart from regular cleaning, you should avoid washing too many foreign objects down the drain. Excessive amounts of dirt, lint, grass clippings, dust and other debris can all contribute to blockages.
Keep Your Day Flowing with Professional Drain Clearing from Liqwyd Solutions!
There’s never a good time to find yourself dealing with blocked drains. A clogged shower can slow you down or even do serious damage to your home. If you’re running into issues with a shower that’s blocked or slow to drain, it’s time to call the team at Liqwyd Solutions!
Liqwyd Solutions are residential plumbing Brisbane wide experts. We deal with all residential plumbing, so we’re equipped to clear your blocked showers, drains, tubs and sinks. Whether it’s a simple buildup of soap or a complex problem like intruding tree roots, we’ll use our state-of-the-art equipment to locate and clear the blockage so you can get on with your day. Contact us today to find out more or to make an emergency plumber Brisbane wide appointment with our team!